Thursday, July 10, 2008

Vietnamese funeral procession



A couple days ago I came across a funeral procession while I was out exploring. The first part of the video shows the musicians and the front of the procession. The second part shows the bus decorated in flowers and the mourners walking behind the bus. The closest family members drape white gauze across their clothing. Others family members wear white head and arm bands. Apparently, the wife cries out repeatedly "wake up, why are you sleeping so long?" to give the dead a chance to wake up before the burial. The eldest child is expected to mourn the loudest to show his love for his parent and to help the spirit reach the next world.

In addition to having a family shrine in the home, the entire extended family gets together every year to mark the death anniversary. There is a large feast and the eldest son is expected to pay for all expenses. The family also regularly burns elaborate items made out of paper (cars, clothes, houses, shoes, money, etc...) to provide for the spirit of the deceased.

If the body is buried (and not cremated) it is exhumed on the 63rd death anniversary and the remains are put into a clay pot in the grave to allow the family grave to be used by others (the Vietnamese do not embalm their dead). This is referred to as "changing the clothes" of the dead.

2 comments:

Natalie C. said...

WOW!! So cool to learn about all that. Without knowing all that, it just looks like a bunch of craziness on the street. :)

Jenny, I am SO EXCITED you started a blog!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be following all your adventures. :)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I was absolutely fascinated by the funeral procession. It was fasciniating. sp I would love to come for a visit to vietnam to see you guys. I miss you dearly sweets. I hope you get this comment. My internet connection isnt very good with you for some reason. Nonetheless, I love you. Hope you have a fabulous day friend. Love you, Tracy